Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

High SGOT and SGPT. Matter to concern?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6474 Questions
I m XXXX yesterdy I hv checked my sgot n sgpt both r 72 and 92 respectively..i drink beer it matter of concern of this much high sgot n sgpt
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is matter of concern and you have to quit beer

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Yes,Definitely your SGOT and SGPT is raised.
You have history of beer intake.It is not good for you at all.You are only 31 years old.
You should quit it immediately.Increased SGPT shows liver damage and it is due to beer in your case.
You need few further investigations so that your problem is clearly understood.
You need routine hemogram,RBS,RFT,LFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen.You need complete LFT like bilirubin and GGT level.GGT is specific for liver damage.

You can take tablet ursodeoxycholic acid 150 mg twice daily for 3 months.It will help in regeneration of liver cells.You should also do exercise and walking.

You can quit beer completely by strong determination and it is possible.

Hope i have answered your query.
Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor