Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Hearing test found 40% loss in right ear, suffering from miniere disease. How soon can I recover ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
Hi, i am suffering from miniere disease but having control on vertigo situation. I got my hearing test done and found 40% loss in right ear, could you please suggest how soon i can get recovery from this disease because its been 6 month now. Is there any surgery? My ENT advised for Vertin medicine which i am already taking since so long. Please advise something which can help me.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 13 hours later


Thanks for the query

Surgery is indicated for Ménière disease when it is refractory to medical management. Failure to respond to medical treatment for a period of 3-6 months is an indication for surgery. Before taking up the case for surgery any underlying medical causes of Ménière syndrome should be treated.

Betahistine (Vertin) 24 mg a day is not the appropriate dose for treating Meniere's disease. It should be at least 48 mg a day for 3-6 months. Secondly, you will require antidiuretic medicines and restriction of salt in the diet. Also, other medical cause such as hypertension has to be ruled out.

Various surgical procedures have evolved for the treatment of Ménière's disease patients who are refractory to medical therapy. It can be either a conservative surgery or destructive procedures. Conservative therapy in the form of intratympanic therapy with gentamycin and steroids has evolved as new methods for the treatment of Ménière's disease. Destructive procedures include labyrinthectomy and vestibular nerve section. Above procedures are decided depending upon the disability score and percentage of hearing.

Recovery from Meniere's disease is difficult but, we can prevent from further worsening by taking the appropriate steps as mentioned above. In your situation, I would recommend to request your doctor to increase the dose of betahistine as well as include antidiuretics. If it does not improve in a couple of months, you can request for intra-tympanic injection of gentamycin or steroids.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor