Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Having tiny bumps on face and neck, itchy scalp in summer. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2610 Questions
I have tiny bumps on my skin, mostly on my face and neck. During the day my skin itches almost constantly, but stops at night, so it doesn't keep me awake. Water on my skin makes the itch worse. My scalp itches, too. I thought I might have come in contact with head lice, but I can see no evidence of it when I look closely. I also thought I might have picked up scabies, but I don't see the telltale lines under the skin. I had the same thing last summer. It seems to disappear in the winter, so maybe it has something to do with heat, since it has been very hot.
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 24 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Based on the history i think it is solar allergy or contact dermatitis.
Contact dermatitis, a itchy rash caused by things your skin touches, such as: cosmetics, soaps, and detergents, dyes and other chemicals in clothing, rubber gloves, shampoos, antibiotics such as neomycin rubbed on the surface of the skin or any plants. In your case i think it might be seat in the hall or the cloths or the jacket. In case of sensitivity to sun exposed areas are affected as mentioned by you.
Treatment for both includes washing with lots of water to remove any traces of the irritant that may remain on the skin. You should avoid further exposure to known irritants or allergens. In some cases, the best treatment is to do nothing to the area. I advice you not to scratch it as result in secondary infection.
Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating contact dermatitis.
Corticosteroid skin creams or ointments may reduce inflammation. Overuse, even of low-strength over-the-counter products, may cause a skin condition should be used with caution.
You can also consider taking oral anti histamine which will be helpful as you have mentioned you have itching. These drugs are available as over the counter medication.
Use sunscreen frequently and liberally when you are out in the sun. Select a broad spectrum product, one that provides protection against both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation and with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15.
I advice you to follow this conservative approach, if it doesn't work i advice you to see dermatologist for examination and to for exact diagnosis. I sincerely hope that helps.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having tiny bumps on face and neck, itchy scalp in summer. What treatment should be done? 25 hours later
There is this phrase in your response that I don't understand: "seat in the hall" Will you clarify what this means, please? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Good to hear from you.

I meant the chair on which you might be using as we usually rest our head it may come in contact with the neck, that might be responsible.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor