Having stomach ache and loose stool with mucus in it. Taking orni-o. Should I continue this?

Dr. Sundar Gnanavel

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Sir, My age is 36 years Male. I have loose stools for the past 20 days. Even i feel pain in my lower stomach. stool is watery. Even mucus comes out. frequency is 4 times a day.
Then i have advised to take ORNI-O tablets for four days in the pattern of 1-0-1. During that time stool was sticky and loose stool was not there. after the stopped the medicine two days ago , again loose stool started now today. Thrice i experinced.

.. I usually run 7 to 8 Kms in the morning regularly for the past 1 year 6 months.

Sir, please advice in this regard.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 25 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with the abdominal symptoms for a long duration. Orni o is a combination of ornidazole with oflaxacin which is a combination of antifungal with antibacterial agent. This is a good combination of drugs for your symptoms. You apparently showed improvement which nullified once you stopped the drugs. Hence I would suggest stool culture and sensitivity test to clinch the exact cause so that specific treatment can be started. Endoscopy investigation would be the last resort. Do clarify further if required.
Dr Sundar
Follow up: Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 8 minutes later
Sir, If I take ORNI-O for further 5 days or whatever you suggest, can we find any cure for this problem. pls need advice sir.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 24 minutes later
Hello
It would be a good idea to continue the medication for another 5 days. If still the symptoms do not completely remit then i would suggest stool culture and sensitivity test to make an accurate diagnosis.
Dr Sundar