Having sore throat, cough, difficult in breathing, swollen gums and headche. Had throat infection. Took antibiotics. Cure?

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi. I had a throat infection about two weeks ago and was put on a course of antibiotics. I am now still have a sore throat, coughing up phlem, difficulties breathing and feel lethargic. Today I work up with the gum around my wisdom teeth swollen and sore and a sore lump in my throat just underneath the jaw line. Also I have been suffering from headaches
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

I am sorry that you are in pain. It seems like the throat infection that occurred two weeks ago is still continuing its course. The antibiotics did not work for you or you are resistant to it.

If I were your treating doctor, I would ask you to undergo a throat culture and antibiotic susceptibility testing, and put on a new antibiotic accordingly.
Your throat seems like being infected along with the swollen gums, and the headaches added to it.

Please go ahead as I suggested.

In the meanwhile, take anti-inflammatory drugs like Motrin or Panadol or Acetaminophen that is available over the counter in your country. You must also do mouth gargling with Betadine gargle or with plain warm water and salt. You also need anti-histamines like Loratidine or cetrizine for faster recovery.

When you get the throat culture report, you could be put on a suitable antibiotic.
Discuss about these options with your primary treating doctor.
Take adequate rest; drink plenty of fluids orally.

Get well soon.