Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Having skin tag under my arm. Can I try piece of floss round it tightly and then it will eventually drop off?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
i have what i think is a skin tag under my arm. It is about the size of a pea and was very small to start with. It is connected to my body by a tiny piece of skin.

Is it a skin tag and can i do what the web ssya which is tie a piece of floss round it tightly and then it will eventually drop off
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for the query.
You can definitely tie a piece of thread or dental floss but you must ensure that you are dealing with a skin tag and not a skin growth.
Skin tags are generally small,slow growing and attached to skin by a fine stalk or a peduncle.They should be soft,movable and it's skin colour should be similar to the rest of skin or may be slightly darker.
Once confirmed and sure you can proceed ahead with tie by thread or floss.
You can then cut the portion above the thread with a sterilised scissor or you can leave it and it will eventually drop off.
Keep it regularly cleaned and apply local antibiotic ointment.
Consult a doctor if you feel that it has developed some infection or if it is not healing after the removal.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor