Having severe headache after medical abortion. Not cured by sudafed. Effective medicine?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: I had a medical abortion with a methotrexate injection and misoprostol 5 days later I have had a sever constant headachache for 3 days with no relief. I have taken tylenol sudafed ibprofin no reilef. I'm in so much pain it is paralyzing I have 2 children to raise and feel as though I made the biggest mistake of my life. My XXXXXXX insurance recently was canceled and am terrified to go er due to outrageous bills. What do I do?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Methotrexate can cause headache as side effect.
Usually this is a minor side effect and will subside with analgesics.
But as you are having persistent headache better to consult doctor once and rule out methotrexate induced nerotoxicity.
It is a comparatively rare complication of methotrexate and can present with headache. In severe forms it can lead to focal neurological deficits and seizures etc.
But don't worry this is not common and I am telling only as a possibility.
So now you consult doctor once and get examined to rule out this possibility and take treatment according to diagnosis.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.