Suggest ways to rule out bronchitis

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: DOCTOR RYNNE:
IN 1955 I RECEIVED A QUINTIPLE HEART BYPASS OPERATION. HOW MUCH VITAMIN C SHOULD I TAKE EACH DAY?
WHAT EFFECT WOULD IT HAVE ON PREVENTING AS WELL AS TREATING
ASTHMA? BRONCHITIS?

VIC GROSSMAN
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that it is well known that vitamin C has a potent anti-inflammatory effects.

Vitamin C is involved in the metabolism of histamine and prostaglandins, which are involved in bronchoconstriction . In asthmatics, vitamin C decrease post-exercise nitric oxide and cysteinyl leukotriences, which help reduce the exercise induced asthma.

But, there are not many studies to support a high effect of vitamine C on asthma exacerbation. Anyway, it can help reduce the airways irritability in patients with asthma.

Regarding the dose, I would recommend taking 250-500 mg daily with food, especially during the cold season when asthma exacerbations are more frequent.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist