What causes pain during intercourse?

Posted on Tue, 5 Sep 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi I had unprotected sex for about a month.
For the past week I felt some pain when having sex and today I got my cycle. When i went to the bathroom I saw two thick meaty looking tissue. This had never happened fo me so I was just wondering if this is normal.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible endometrial tissue or early miscarriage

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

There are two possibilities for the meaty tissue that noticed along with bleeding.
1. The tissue could be blood clot mixes with slogged endometrial tissue. During menstrual bleeding decreased progesterone and effect of prostaglandins will slough off the old endometrial tissue. And the pain you noticed could be premenstrual pain.

2.Since you have been sexually active, there is possibility of conception. The bleeding you developed could have been very early miscarriage and the meaty tissue could be the products of conception. And the pain you noticed could be due to impending miscarriage.

The tissue can be send for pathologic evaluation to see if it was an embryo. But it is not necessary.

If the pain or bleeding do not subside or worsens please be advised to follow up with your gynecologist.
You can take Tylenol or Advil for pain.

Hope this answers your questions
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal