Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Having severe back pain. MRI showed acute compression fracture. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10356 Questions
My mother is 64 year old. She started severe back pain 50 days ago. MRI shows:
1. Acute compression fracture of D9 vertebral body (20% reduction in height). Marrow oedema noted. No retropulsion.
2. Acute compression fracture of D12 vertebral body (70-80% reduction in height). Marrow oedema noted. Mild blowing of the posterior cortex noted causing mild impingement on thecal sac.
She is in severe pain radiating from back to both side of the ribs and some times to the chest too. Can't lie down for more than an hour. She had 8 days of physiotherapy, and is on daily pain killer, and on a support belt called KT Brace. However, not much relief, and the pain continues.
Any suggestions? Is any surgery needed for this? If yes, what kind of surgery and how will it help?
Thanks a lot.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Since the two vertebrae have fractured and the acute pain is there, surgical decompression of the nerve roots should be considered. With the fractured vertebrae and acute pain, physiotherapy should be avoided for a while.
Oral muscle relaxants after consulting a neurosurgeon should provide her temporary relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor