Having pain in fingers and feet. Frequently urinating after taking medicines. What could be the problem?

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I'm a teacher by profession, age 52years, weight 64 KG, height 4.8 My current problem Have pain in fingers and in feet (left feet mostly) during morning as I woke up from bed, this happens regularly and after some walk the pains in the feet are gone, but as I sit take some rest or sit for work then the pain resumes. I cannot walk without slipper on floor as my feet get cold. During my work time, while sitting on chair and keeping my feets hanging in the air and under full/mid speed fan, my feet starts paining and I tend to cover it or wear socks (which gives me some relief). I usually don't sit too much as my profession requires me to always walk while teaching. Sometime I feel pain in shoulder and hands. Overall I think it's joint pains. Mostly 3-4 months I get a problem where, I frequently urinate (which pains) and post taking medicines and consuming lukewarm water give me relief. I feel my body gets swelled up if I consume citrus food, curd or rice, but I tend to take only fresh curd and small amount of rice sometime. I'm vegetarian (no egg) and tend to avoid following vegetables 1. Cauliflower 2. Cabbage 3. Egg Plant 4. Peanuts (since I knew I had thyroid) 5. Tomato 6. Red Leafy Vegetables. 7. Spinach (sometime) Also avoid chilled or mid cold food/drinks. Recently I've felt that after having milk (cow) @evening (6-7) my stomach feels bit heavier and doesn't feel like eating anything. Past year problem? I've was diagnosed with Thyroid last year and was suggested to take Medicine (Thyroxin 50) once in the morning (empty stomach). Also was suggested to take Calin-D3, once in a day (I was irregular so I took sometime morning/evening) post having some food. Medical history - No Blood Pressure - No Sugar I'm uploading my recent medical reports, would like you to have a keen observation.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 2 days later
Brief Answer: Blood reports are all within normal limits. Detailed Answer: Dear Ma'm, Hi! All your reports are within normal limits. You can continue your thyroxine same dose, but try to remember and take it early morning, empty stomach, and observe 30 minutes fast after the tablet. Vitamin D3 supplementation should also be continued. At the same time you must add some B12 supplements. You must check your uric acid levels and add some Pregabaline for neuropathy. All your symptoms are pointers towards peripheral neuropathy. Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 21 hours later
My thyroid looks normal in the report should i still continue my thyroid medication? I take water 1lt (in morning) post that, i take my medicine and after 15min i take tea, i that fine or should i be on strict 30min fast? Is my current medicine Calin-D3 (which has D3 - 200 IU) sufficient or should i get explicit a bit higher dose for sometime? I'm vegetarian, don't even eat egg, and as i read it can only be obtained from eating non-veg, so can you be specific which drug and for what duration it should be taken. Also i forgot to mention in my main question, is that i get abrupt feeling of heat/cold which stays for 3-4 min; this is not seasonal but usually happens in 2-3 month. Can you please mention the test name for Uric Acid Level Test? Would be great if you specify the drug name & duration for (Pregabaline for neuropathy).
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 8 hours later
Brief Answer: All answers in details below. Detailed Answer: Dear sir, Hi! 1. you must continue the drug because it is due to the drug that your balance is fine. 2. you must keep a minimum of 30 minutes gap or even more but not less after the tablet in the morning. 3. uric acid is tested by asking for serum uric acid levels. 4. Pregabaline you will get by many brand names - Lyrica, maxgalin, pregeb, prelim. 5. dose is 75 mcg bed time to start with. you can go upto 150 mcg twice a day. 6. duration to appreciate the results is minimum 21 days, and to enjoy the benefits long term you must continue. 7. vitamin D you must take 1000 IU per day, or 0000 IU per week for at least 12 weeks. I think that is all . Regards!