Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Having pain in abdomen, hip bone and lower back. Feeling bloated and gaining weight. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 660 Questions
hi for over a year had lower right side pain on and off for past few months its there every day,my pelvis,hip bone and lower back also ache,I feel so bloated,have put on 21ibs in weight over a few mths and sometimes cannot hol my urine,I have just had a colonoscopy which was ok and 14 mth ago has scan of the ovaries etc which also came back ok
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 3 hours later

Thanks for your query.

See right lower abdominal pain may be caused by many reasons.Most commonly it arises from appendix, ovary, colon, kidney and ureter and other pelvic organs.

As your pain is a chronic one there is a probability of subacute appendicitis which may be present there without any acute presentation. Again in female specially ovarian pathologies must be excluded for a right lower abdominal pain though your scan of 14 months ago failed to reveal anything. Stone in the right kidney or right ureter may cause such pain also. Chronic colitis may lead to this kind of pain sensation without any obvious sign on colonoscopy. Pain of chronic cystitis especially in females of your age group may lead to such pain with loss of bladder control.

Therefore I advise you to go for an ultrasonography (USG) of lower abdomen including kidneys and other pelvic organs primarily. Consult a general surgeon and get examined locally. Take plenty of water per day atleast 3-4 litre/day. You may have a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin-ornidazole combination for 10-14 days and look for symptomatic improvement. Your further investigations if needed should be guided by the USG finding and examination findings of your surgeon.

So kindly consult your surgeon immediately and discuss the issues which i have mentioned.

If you want to know more you may write back to me. Kindly write a review on my answer.

Dr Arnab Maji
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor