Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Having low back pain. Can I use Tens Unit?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 322 Questions
Hello! Both hips have been replaced. I wonder if the Tens Unit can be used? I have low back pain going down into my right hip and leg.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
You can consider TENS after joint replacements.
It is usually contraindicated in following conditions-
If you have a loss of skin sensation or even decreased sensation. With altered sensation, there is a risk of turning the unit up too high and causing an injury.

If you have a cardiac pacemaker as the electrical signals could interfere with the pacemaker. Cardiac patients should not use TENS without their physician’s approval.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor