• question-icon

Having high blood pressure, on clonidine. Suggest ways to lower the level?

Posted on Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my blood pressure is high 180 need help. l have taking my medications
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

First I would like you to tell me what medications you are currently taking. Then I can review your medications and we can talk about strategies to help control your blood pressure better.I look forward to hearing more from you.

Dr Galamaga
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 minutes later
zestoretic 20-25mg clonidine 0.1 mg but I take half
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Thank you for sending the followup.

In some cases it is necessary for us to use multiple medications to maintain adequate blood pressure control.

In your case it would be a good consideration to think about adding a beta blocker to your medication regimen. This will include medications such as metoprolol or atenolol. These can be started at low doses and slowly increased until your blood pressure comes under excellent control.

Please discuss this with your physician to try and optimize a good blood pressure control regimen. Also you need to make sure that your blood pressure measuring machine is accurate. Please bring this to the appointment when you see your doctor so that he can calibrate your machine or make sure that it is accurate compared to his.

Thanks again for sending a question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist