Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Having heavy periods. No fibroids found in the scan. Prescribed duphaston. Noticed excessive wetness during sex. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 7228 Questions
I have been having abnormally heavy periods with huge clots, the days are normal 4 days XXXXXXX but the flow is so heavy and with clots. I had a scan of my uterus and no fibroids were found, the doctor prescribed duphaston for two weeks and the problem improved slightly, now its back again. The other problem im having is excessive wetness during sex, someone please help.

I also have red lips which make me look even sicker
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

After delivery, any uterus remains bulky and this bulkiness increases with the number of deliveries. This in itself causes excessive blood loss during periods. Any hormonal imbalance may lead to abnormal bleeding; increased endometrial thickness as a result of hyper-estrogenic states can lead to menorrhagic cycles. Anemia and thyroid disorders are the other causes of heavy periods.

As you do not have any fibroids as the cause of the menorrhagia, you may have to exclude the other causes. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive. For intractable menorrhagia, endometrial ablation may be considered.

Excessive wetness is usually caused by increased Bartholin secretion and is psychogenic. You may use an anti-histamine to decrease the secretion or try to reduce the estrogen production through exercise, reduction of beverage intake etc. Smoking and drinking also cause such discomfort. Use of birth control pills also may help. You may also need to get investigated for pelvic infections if this does not help.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having heavy periods. No fibroids found in the scan. Prescribed duphaston. Noticed excessive wetness during sex. Help? 6 minutes later
what is intractable menorrhagia and endometrial ablation?
I have also been investigated for pelvic infections and nothing came up. which birth control pills can i take? is XXXXXXX good?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Intractable menorrhagia is nothing but heavy bleeding during periods that does not respond to any form of medical management and hence becomes an indication for surgical mode of management. Endometrial ablation is the process of hysteroscopic removal of the endometrial layer of the uterus, thus resulting in control of periods. Novasure and Thermachoice balloon ablation are the other available methods. The endometrium heals by scarring and bleeding is reduced. In some patients, the bleeding may stop altogether.

Low-dose birth control pills may be taken. XXXXXXX contains Drosperinone which should be used with caution in view of the adverse effects on circulation. You may consult your specialist for the choice of drug that suits you after an evaluation.

Hope your query is clarified. Please get back if you need any more clarifications. I will be ready to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having heavy periods. No fibroids found in the scan. Prescribed duphaston. Noticed excessive wetness during sex. Help? 23 hours later
I have read about Drosperinone, it is in fact used to treat vaginal dryness so it may not be advisable for me because i get excessively wet during intercourse. Please which birth control would you recommend to regulate my monthly flow and to 'treat' the excessive vaginal wetness as I believe it could be hormonal as well. i would greatly appreciate some suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

You may use progesterone creams as a local application; you may try the progestogen-only pills or low-dose combination pills. The exact schedule may be determined by your consultant after examination as it cannot be done online. You may try simple remedies like mopping the area before intercourse and adapting posture changes.

Hope all your queries are clarified. Please feel free to contact whenever you need help.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor