Having headache with extreme pressure. Could this be from anxiety or sleep apnea?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: headi have been having headaches off and on in the back of my head for going on two years now. When they come on thw back right corner of my head feels hot and extremley pressured. i have anxiety and it scares me when it comes on. i am fearful that it is a brain anureysum or somthing that could pop. have seen my dr and even been seen in an er before. both drs state that i do not show any symptoms nor do i have any risk factors for a brain tumor or anureysum so there is no need to run an mri or ct scan. i was told that i have anxiety and that these headaches are from anxiety and sleep apnea. i have also seen an chiropractor and he said that i have a misalignment in my neck that it is most likely cqusing my headaches. i do not have any pupil issues...dizziness.....vision problems.....facial issues.....the headache feels more like its a pressure and located in my scalp and neck. i have had multiple bp checks and physical examinations and all said was anxiety. with no risk factors....no serious physical symptoms....and multiple dr visits coukd it still be possible that i have a brain anureysum that is causing these headaches? my doctor says there is nothing to worry about bc anureysums generally after this much time woukd have already caused serious complications or would have produced very concering symptoms that woukd have warranted a ct or mri scan in which none of thisnhas happened. should i still bw worried? or shoukd i just take three drs andvice and accept it is anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.
Its very obvious that you are very much concerned about the cause of the headache. The Headaches can occur due to "n" number of reasons and as you rightly feel, if there is a history of frequent headaches, it always warrants a imaging (at least a CT scan).
But there are a few questions which I would like to ask:
1) Is it only on one side or it changes sides?
2) Is it accompanied with nausea, visual disturbances or vomiting along with the headache during the episodes.
3) How long does the head ache last and how frequently does it occur?
4) What do you do when you have an head ache?
5) Do you have these palpitations and other anxiety symptoms before the start of headache or afterwards?
6) Is your headache having any relationship with a stressful event in your life?
I would be glad if you can provide me with these details so that I can serve you in a better way. Please add more details if you think they would be pertinent.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
have beem diagnosed with anxiety......mostly right side....no nausea or vomiting....no vision issues or dizziness...pupils are normal.

headches last probably an hr and are ofd and on throught day ...sometimes go away for days or week then come back. when headache comes on i generally take motrin or rub neck. palpqlation happen before and after headcahe. headaches qre worse when i worry about them or i am under stress. the headache feels like intense pressure and heat and i have been seen by an er dr and told anxiety
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 24 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
From your description of your headache it appears that the head ache you are having is a tension head ache and is mostly caused by anxiety and stress. Amitriptyline is a good drug for such symptoms. However its not available over the counter and you will be requiring a psychiatrists prescription for that. Meanwhile if the headache is bad, you should take paracetamol for the pain relief. You can take Tablet Tylenol 1 tab 3-4 times daily. Biofeedback therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy can also help you in reducing your distress. Paroxetine and benzodiazepines and propranolol are also good drugs for anxiety symptoms.
All said, you should still go for a CT scan of head, just to be cautious.
Diet and exercise always help.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns. If you need any further clarifications, I will be happy to help you.
Thanks.
Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 42 minutes later
my main worry is tumor or anureysum....with seeing drs and being told anxiety should i be still nervous.....even though headaches come and go and have no major symptoms could it still be a yumor or anureysum?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 minutes later

I understand your concerns. The tumours and aneurysm can present with a sole symptom of headache. The only 100% guaranteed way of answering your question is to get yourself scanned by an MRI. If your MRI brain come normal, it will reduce your anxiety about the cause of headache. It will also improve your anxiety symptoms and even headache as well. In your case MRI is not only diagnostic, but therapeutic as well. I suggest you should insist your doctor for an MRI the next time you see him.

Hope I am able to solve your concerns.

If yes, you can close the discussion and then you can rate the answer.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan