Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Having breathing obstruction, voice change and snoring loudly. Should I go for surgery or homoeopathic medicine?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
Hi, I am having breathing obstruction and voice change. I snore a lot and very loudly, I cannot sleep with mouth closed. I often have cold and sore throat. When I open my mouth, I can clearly see that my tonsils are enlarged. My question is, whether I could go for a surgery or I should try herbal and homeopathic medicines? I am 28 years old male.

If I should go for a surgery, are there hospitals which offer coblation procedures? How long the surgery will take? What are the possible complications?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I have seen the picture that you sent along and believe that we need to give you a course of antibiotics like amoxicillin-clavulanate here. Please see your physician for the same. Also, steam inhalation and anti-allergy medications like Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once a day can help.
After that, if the tonsils dont become smaller, we should take a biopsy and consider removing it by surgery. I dont think you should try a herbal remedy as the symptoms are quite bad already.
Several hospitals in New Delhi offer coblation procedures for tonsillectomy. It is offered at Lady Hardinge Medical College , New Delhi. The large private hospitals like Apollo and Medanta should be definitely having this.
The surgery only takes a few hours. The surgery is a very common procedure and is generally safe. The main complications are bleeding and infection. In the hands of a good surgeon, these should be managed effectively
I hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having breathing obstruction, voice change and snoring loudly. Should I go for surgery or homoeopathic medicine? 3 hours later

Thanks for the information. I should see my physician today. In addition, I wanted to ask about approximate cost of this procedure if I have to get it done in a private facility.

Best regards

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 hours later
The cost would vary from institution to institution. But it would be practically free at Lady Hardinge as its a government hospital. Let me know if you need any more help.
If you have no more concerns, please close this discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor