What does my cytometry test result report indicate?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
Hi there,
Wondering if you could interpret some flow cytometry results for me. I am a 27-year-old female who recently underwent lingual tonsillectomy. Initial biopsy done a few weeks prior just showed follicular hyperplasia. I do have a post-op appointment this coming Monday, but would sincerely appreciate a second opinion of sorts.

Here's the report (it wouldn't let me upload):
"Flow cytometric immunophenotyping demonstrates approximately 93% events with CD45/scatter characteristics of lymphocytes. 65% are B lymphoid- type events (CD19 positive), with dim partial CD5 and CD10 coexpression on subset (some nonspecific, dual; CD10 coexpression suggests germinal center cells), and with polyclonal surface immunoglobulin light chain expression overall (kappa: lamda ratio of 1.5), and when specifically analyzed on the CD5 (partial/subset) or CD10 positive subsets. T lymphoid type events (CD3/CD5 positive) comprise 30% with a CD4:CD8 ratio of 5, and no abnormalities of tested T-cell antigen.
----
The abundantly cellular preparation with numerous small lymphocytes, admixed with rare larger forms, plasma cells histiocytes and squamous cell clusters"

From what I can gather, the T cells look good, but everything regarding the B cells is confusing me. Being a typical patient these days I, of course, try to research everything, and the CD5/CD10 information sounds kind of bad. I want to make sure my surgeon isn't going to blow this off on Monday if it could potentially be something serious. Bacterial culture showed "Few Staphylococcus aureus" and gram stain showed "Many WBC per low power field."

Thank you in advance for any advice/direction you can provide!
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is just response to infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query. I understand your concerns.

This report shows predominantly b lymphoid cells, which are polyclonal, admixed with T lymphoid and other cells. The B cells have germinal center phenotype. So everything is suggestive of response to infection, which is pretty much expected in the setting of tonsillitis.

The gram stain and culture reports corroborate this.

So overall, there is nothing to worry in this report.

Hope this helps.