Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Have tubes in ear, started draining wax and blood, found blisters on ear. Is this normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
My grandson has tubes in ears and ears are draining wax and blood and has 2 or 3 blisters on outside od ear and is crying saying his ear hurts. Is this normal
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 28 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

The ear tubes are inserted to drain the contents from the middle ear and may be normal when they drain wax or fluid.

However the blisters and blood after one month are not common.
Has the doctor seen both the blisters and blood and if so did he prescribe anything?

The blisters can be from the skin(of the ear pinna) irritation from the discharge.
Redness ,foul smelling discharges and pain are all signs of skin infection.

Keep the area dry and watch.
If no improvement or worsening blisters ,please get back to the doctors again.
Complications from ear tubes are usually rare and minor.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor