Have tubes clamped. Missed period, experiencing sore breast and heavy stomach. Chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: HI, My name is XXXXXXX
I had my tubes clamped 7 years ago and have continued to have regular normal periods.
However it has been 41days since my last period.
Is there a chance I could be pregnant? My breast have been tender and sore, I feel heavy in the stomach like I did with my other children. My urine is stronger in smell.
I have 6 health children already aged 7-25yrs and were normal pregancies and deliveries with all.
My husband and I enjoy a normal health sex life. At least 2-3 times a week.
We are both the same age.
Is it still possible to get pregnant after getting clamped? I have heard of this happening to those who have been cut and tied.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Tubal sterilisation in women is highly effect but there is a small risk of failure. One study which followed over 0000 women over a 10 yr period, there was a 10 yr failure rate of about 18 per 1000 women.
So there is a small risk of pregnancy.

You can consider performing a early detection pregnancy test to determine if this is the reason for the delayed periods.
There are other causes for delay periods such as: abnormal levels of thyroid hormone, high levels of prolactin hormone, emotional or physical stress, menopause, extreme physical activity,inadequate nutrition

If the pregnancy test is negative, your doctor may suggest performing some hormonal blood tests to check for the level of reproductive hormones and also to check the thyroid and prolactin hormone.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions