Have tiny red spots on tongue. Are these test buds?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: Hi,

Have tiny red spots on tongue which is visible from quite long time (More than an month). no pain or irritation as such. are these tastebuds? why is it so red off late
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
The red raised spots on the tongue surface are taste buds.
They are bigger and round at the base of tongue about 1-2mm size and are much smaller at sides and towards the front side. They detect various types of tastes.
Tongue taste buds are red in color.
If the tongue itself is red or is having red patches then it denotes an atrophic condition called geographic tongue and is due to deficiency of micronutrients mainly the vitamins of B-complex group and zinc.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 19 minutes later
Thanks doctor. Can you help with this? how to reduce white coating on the tongue which leads to bad breath? I brush twice and use tongue cleaner. But this does not help always
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The bad smell is called halitosis and local causes in mouth include coated tongue or infected gingival pockets or tooth abscesses.
You should improve the oral health, do the brushing twice a day, after you scrap the tongue, rub clean the surface with the brush just like you do the brush for teeth. You should also brush the inner surface which is also a cause of bad breath.
Get yourself examined by a dentist/physician/ENT surgeon of your locality to make sure you do not have pyorrhea.
You should do Chlorhexidine gargles after brushing and should not eat anything in ensuing 2hours and do not take any thing before retiring to bed.
Wish you a great health!