What causes metalic taste in the mouth and headaches?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Fri, 3 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I HAVE A METALIC TASTE IN MY MOUTH AND A CHEMICAL BODY ODOR.I ALSO
GET OCASIONAL HEADACHES AND FEEL LIKE I HAVE NOT EATON
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Oral hygiene affected due to an infectious cause such as gingivitis, periodontitis etc. They can lead to a metallic taste in the mouth. Drugs having anticholinergic effects leading to dry mouth and decreased secretions particularly cause a metallic taste in mouth.

A number of medications can cause such a taste, even those medications that aren't associated with this side effect can cause metallic taste in susceptible individuals. In severe cases there is nausea and vomiting, too.

Chemical exposure due to lead and mercury should be ruled out as they can present with a symptom of metallic taste in mouth. GERD and gastritis is also a possible cause and should be treated empirically with antacids and PPIs if none of the above causes are determined.

Chemical odor or peculiar / foul smell from body can be related to a Corynebacterium infection, excess garlic intake and use of certain dyes.
Topical antibiotics application in arm pits can help resolve and lessen the smell.
Use an antibacterial soap like triclosan can help.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil