Have swollen painful glands in the groin area. What is causing this?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I shaved from my waist down, I don't know if this is a corrolation or not. Now, I notice that I have swollen glands in my groin (hard and slightly painful), bend of my hip, and legs. The glands ache moderately. Even my calf muscles hurt. Slightly tender testicles. Low libido. Not very firm erections. Sometimes I don't even get an erection when I have to use the bathroom in the morning. That used to be an every day occurance. I only take Lisinopril, multivitamins for men and fish oil. Does this warrent a trip to the emergency room, or wait for my doctor next week?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The swollen painful glands in the groin is likely to be due to an infection in the area. Since there is a mild pain in the testicles, the possible causes could be-
1) Infections of the prostate, bladder, or seminal vesicles and interstitial cystitis (chronic disease of the urinary bladder associated with pain associated with the bladder, pain associated with urination).
2) Gonorrheal infections
3) Urethritis or prostatitis
The decrease in libido can be due to the anti hypertensive that you are taking.
You need a comprehensive profile of investigations including semen examination, culture, urine culture and examination, PSA levels, STD panel for gonorrhea, swab samples and a cystoscopy if needed to rule out any urethritis.
First you need to see a doctor,get a swab test to confirm the diagnosis. You can also attend an emergency room if needed.
You will have to take a course of antibiotics.
Refrain from sex until your infection is resolved.
You need to observe good hygiene.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.