Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have swollen, painful and hardened nose. Suggest some medicine

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hi Inside my nose its hardened on the left side & swelling is there & its paining
Pls.suggest some medicines
my email id is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Considering the details you have provided its most probably a bacterial infection causing Nasal furuncle .
The treatment is mainly antibiotics local ointment like mupirocin as well as oral like amoxicillin( thrice daily) or Cefixime (twice daily)in prescribed doses .
For the pain and swelling oral antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be taken thrice daily .
The next best step is to get yourself evaluated by a ENT specialist for confirmation of diagnosis and starting appropriate treatment .
It's best not to neglect it or self medicate because the nasal infection has the risk of spreading to vital structures like eyes and brain if not treated appropriately .
With proper treatment it is likely to resolve completely within a week and so please do not worry and do consult your doctor.
At home you can try the following,

Warm compresses with wet washcloth on the upper surface of the nostril three times in a day for 10 to 15 minutes which will help the blood circulation and allow the pus to get drained easily.
Do not squeeze, or scratch the area as it can push the infection deeper into the system.

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have swollen, painful and hardened nose. Suggest some medicine 44 hours later
Thanks for the suggestions & medicine,I am recovering & will confirm on full recovery.Also,Is it possible to share the contact details in case of any emergency.
Thanks once again.
With regards,
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes you can contact me on this forum at the URL
WWW.WWWW.WW You can ask any query in emergency or otherwise directly to me using Ask this doctor facility .You can view my public profile for the contact details .
It's my pleasure to be able to answer your queries to the best of my knowledge and capabilities .
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor