Owl Image

Have stent in the rca and noticed rise in BP. What could be the cause?

Question
Hi
My Mother is 84.She had to have a stent in the RCa the day before yesterday.Initially BP went back to normal.Now it's el;evated again and she's back in hospital.Any theories at all as to why BP would reamin elevated in view that there are no pther blockages?
I neglected to mention that before she had the angiogram that led to the stent ,she had afib.They brought tht under control I'm told,via medication rather than cardioversion.They then picked up a clockage or suspected blockage,did the Angiogtram, found a blickage in the RCA ,stented her and she was Ok.Then the BP started shooting up.I don't know the nuimbers .I'm in the UKL and she's in Florida at JFK Hospital. I hope you may be able to shed some light. Thanks
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The common cause for a transient rise of pressure at and around the procedure is anxiety.
     Rise after some time like here may point to the kidneys – Contrast Induced Nephropathy. The contrast (dye) used in the angiogram and stent may result in kidney injury in some – especially the elderly.
An embolism to the kidneys from the fibrillation could also contribute.
Any other incidental problem could also have occurred around this time.
     Only time, observation and investigations will show

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck