Have sore breast and severe stomach cramps after embryo transfer. Is this normal?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi, Im 35 and had a natural FET 5 days ago. Yesturday I developed very sore breast and severe stomach cramps last night. I feel like my period is just around the corner. I usually get these same symptoms on my regular cycle, however this is a little worst. I am not on any progesterone, and I have no infertility issues, my husband previously had a vastectomy from another marriage. Im not sure what to make of my symptoms, however feel a little down as I totally feel like my period is on my doorstep. The only thing I had was a trigger injection prior to the transfer of my 6 day blastocyst. I just cannot believe how many cramps Im having over the last two days, and my breasts are sorer than ever before.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
The cramps and pain you are feeling after embryo transfer is normal.Tis is where the implantation process takes place.You need to be at rest and try not to take any medications.Try not to do any jerky movements.While the embryo implants,there may be spotting and cramping.If the implantation occurs correctly then the symptoms will be relieved after the implantation has been completed successfully. The are 2 % chances of ectopic pregnancy in IVF and the signs of that are bleeding,acute pain,fainting,dizziness and hypotension.If any such symptoms occur see your doctor immediately. In case the implantation is unsuccessful, then you will bleed.That means you should see your doctor also. Sometimes,even after successful implantation,one needs to be really careful in the 1 st trimester as early loss of pregnancy is a hazard.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later
Thankyou for that information. I have been very restful during this period following transfer. The pain still continues, but is tolerable. How long does it take then for the embryo to implant? this pain has continued for at least 48hours? Further, can your explain why my breasts would be so sore, when normally I only have slight breast pain before a mentral period?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Implantation can take between 3- 5 days.Delayed till 7 days also at times.Take rest and be careful.The breast soreness is due to the hormonal fluctuation as progesterone levels are rising at this stage.The mastalgia that you get before menses is cyclical and hormone levels dont fluctuate like that in pregnancy.Apply hot fomentation to the breast and use a tight brasserie.I dont recommend drugs at this point.