Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Have sinus infection, boil and infection in ear with constant headaches. Antibiotics did not helped. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
I went to the Doctors 2 months ago regarding a sinus infection but apparently I have a boil in one ear and an infection in the other. The Doctor referred me to a specialist about a month ago because the antibiotics have not worked. I cannot get in to see the specialist until 23 September but my ears are now more painful and I have constant headache? Is there anything I can do other than paracetamol please? I run my own business which is very busy and it is impacting on my efficiency.
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic, NSAID, Serratiopeptidase, ear hygiene

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Since you told infection and boil, these need to be treated and can't wait till September 23rd.

If you have any of the inflammatory signs like redness, swelling, raised temperature (local or systemic) and any discharge from ears then you require topical antibiotic like (Ciplox ear drops). If fever then systemic antibiotic is required. Keep your both ear dry and clean.

As a GP for my patients with such complaints I usually advice NSAIDs (I usually prefer Ibuprofen 400mg or Paracetamol 650 mg three times a day) with serratiopeptidase (If any inflammatory swelling) and a course antibiotic (I prefer Amoxiclav). For the prescription of these medications, please do consult your GP or Family Physician.

Along with these do steam inhalation three times a day and anti histamine like loratidine to reduce secretion or to relieve from eustachian tube blockage (If present due to middle ear infection) will be very helpful.

Hope these measures help you to relieve from pain and infection. Consult your doctor for further management.

Feel free to ask if any queries and I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor