Have red, itchy bumps in vaginal area. Tested negative for std and yeast infection. Reason?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Yes, I have a question.. I was recently tested for herpes and other stds and all the results came back negotive. I also was checked for yeast and a urinary track infection which also came back negotive... But I had little red bumps in my vaginal area and they thought it could of been herpes but as i said it came back negotive... What could cause itching, burning, soreness and little red bumps there if everything came back negotive?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for writing in
It is hard to tell what the little red lumps in the vagina, that grew and multiplied recently, are without seeing them. However, certain assumptions can be made.

Red lumps detected on mucosa are usually a sign of infection. Whether the infection is acute or chronic and whether it is caused by bacteria or a virus cannot be determined without an additional clinical examination or seeing them. Other causes can be Ingrown hair or a cyst.

I would like to know the date of exposure to the infection if you think it is herpes. Herpes is asymptomatic for long time can came positive in test after 6 months. If it is negative for 6 months of exposure than need not to worry else you need to get the test repeated.

You might want to visit a gynecologist for a visual physical examination. The doctor might decide to take a vaginal swab to clearly identify the cause for the red lumps in the vagina.

Write back for any follow up query
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow up: Dr. Kulbir Singh 8 minutes later
Ok I got a wet prep done and a urine test done and the only thing it said was there was bacteria, white blood cells and ethelial cells in it everything else showed up negotive. I just got the results to that today, but the break out started a couple of days ago. Like id say four days ago and now it is cleared up almost completely.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 1 hour later
Hello and thanks again
The presence of bacteria is indicative of infection and to get rid from it you needs to take a course of effective antibiotic. If your doctor feels culture examination can be done to select an antibiotic. Curing the infection is mandatory and I hope the bump will disappear after the cure. It may take few weeks for complete cure.
Feel free to consult your treating doctor if your symptoms persists. Meanwhile keep the part in hygienic condition. Drink plenty of water.

Hope this will help you.

Dr. Kulbir Singh