Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Have problem of irregular period but has not got periods. Suggest medicine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 7216 Questions
Hi doctor !! I'm xxxx , my wife is having irregular period. Since 60 days her period has not been occurred. What medicine can she take now to regularise her period. She is 5ft4inch , age is 39 and weight is 75 kgs. Please advice as early as possible.

Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She needs investigation for proper treatment.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query.

If your wife is not on any contraception, the first thing to be excluded is pregnancy. Else, the causes of irregular periods are several and a thorough examination and investigation is needed to know the exact cause and treat.

I would ask you to take her to a gynecologist, get a complete evaluation, blood counts, hormonal profile, sonogram and urinalysis. Weight disturbances, hormonal imbalances, stress, certain medications and infections can cause irregular periods.

Treatment is based on the specific cause isolated. If there are hormonal imbalances, prescription of hormones is sufficient. If there are ovarian cysts, treatment should be targeted toward treating them. Insulin resistance can be treated by Metformin while hyperprolactinemia can be treated by Bromocryptine and so on.

She is slightly on the higher side of BMI and this needs to be corrected. Some form of regular exercise, healthy diet, avoidance of stress go a long way in the management.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor