Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Have polio. Is it possible to correct the bone equality? Whom can I contact?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10441 Questions
My name is XXXXXXX;i am from guntur, I got affected with polio, now I am 27 yrs old. I am looking for cure, as per Guntur doctor’s certificate I am affected with 10%. Is it possible to correct my bone inequality? And whom can I contact? May I know the correct hospital name? And how many days it will take for total recover.
please answert me..
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
In the limbs affected by polio, usually there is a discrepancy in the limb length. The bone lengthening or bone shortening procedures are required for rehabilitation.
A physical examination is imperative to decide on what kind of procedure is needed according to the degree and type of deformity.
You can consult an Orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation and the procedures needed.To find a good Orthopedic surgeon nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at

The time taken for full recovery depends on the procedure adopted. Usually bone length is preserved which recovers in 6-8 weeks time. The time taken to regain the muscle strength is even longer and depends on the physical therapy.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have polio. Is it possible to correct the bone equality? Whom can I contact? 39 minutes later
Thank you for reply. This week I am looking to XXXXXXX doctors at BIRDS hospital, tirupati. Could you please suggest me how can I get a doctor appointment in BIRD to conduct all tests?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.
BIRDS hospital is a complete free (charity) hospital, running with TTD FUNDS. There is nothing like appointment for a patient. All the patients have to attend out patient clinics on all working days in the morning between 9 am - 12 noon. After getting out patient registration, a doctor will examine and investigate you. If he thinks you need a surgery ,he will admit you on same day or ask you to come on the specific date for admission and surgery. They will do all types of orthopedic surgeries,but mostly polio related surgeries. Good physiotherapy unit is there for rehabilitation work after surgery.
You can consult there for proper treatment.
Hope this answer is helpful.

Do accept the answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor