What does the following MRI report when diagnosed with knee pain suggest?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Right knee pain
I was diagnosed with a bone contusion & articular cartilage tear a small tear the Dr. told me he said I don't require surgery. I have had this since I fell on my knee December 4th 2016. I am constantly in pain makes walking long hard need to sit a lot. He told me need no therapy needed last week he said additional 6/8weeks for it to heal its going on 3 months to young to be in pain for this long. Had MRI diagnoses he never told me which bones were involved tibia or femur? is all involved. I lost the ability to fall asleep on my own probably due to the pain constant worrying I take a prescription pill to sleep. I am out of work also because of this. my family doc said it was a small one according to the MRI report
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs cartilage implantation surgery OATS

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Deciding to your MRI report, you have a defect in the inner aspect of the femur or thigh bone at the knee joint. Also there is a cartilage surface damage to the patella or knee cap.

The bone contusion is in the femur bone.

I would suggest you consult your Sports Medicine Specialist regarding possible evaluation of the knee joint with an arthroscope with cartilage implantation procedure like OATS (Osteochondral Autograft Transfer System) . This is a very effective procedure to fill up defects in the cartilage.

Avoid knee flexion and squatting. Perform physiotherapy to strengthen Quadriceps muscle.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D