Suggest ways to rule out arthritis and chondromalacia patellae

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Two years back I had a major knee surgery. I had a full knee dislocation with a severed ACL, torn meniscus, and torn MCL. The knee was successfully repaired and for the last 2 years it has been trouble free.

I am a HIGHLY active individual. I am a competitive cyclist at a high level and I participate in a gravity "extreme" segment of the sport. I continued to compete and train post knee injury/ surgery.

Anyway, recently I went to see my sports therapist for a non knee related issue. While doing some super light weight (less than 20 lbs) movements I noticed an odd sensation in my knee. No popping and definitely no pain...just an odd sensation...almost like a fullness next to the knee cap on the inside. A bit like the knee is slightly out of alignment? There was no and still is no swelling to speak of and the knee has never locked or anything like that.

In any case, it has been about 4 days now and this sensation keeps coming and going. In that time I have been for 1 intense bike ride, and I also went to the gym where I was able to do dead lifts and other exercises that required me to move weight in a standing position. I did not experience the sensation during this time. I also went for a 6 mile hike and the sensation was present initially then subsided about 1 mile in.

Today, the sensation started up again at about lunch time and has yet to subside. I have been sitting at my desk most of the day and the sensation was not present when I woke up in the morning. I went for a short walk at lunch and the sensation turned to a dull pain for about 5 minutes then subsided.

I also notice a crackling noise when I drop down into a deep squat position. It is not a pop and it sounds and feels like it is coming from my quad muscles. It sounds like cereal being crushed.

What do you think? I have a race in 2 weeks. If it is a minor meniscus tear, can I just wrap it?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chondromalacia or early arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Is there pain on getting up from the sitting position?
Any pain on climbing downstairs?

It is possible that you may be having signs of Chondromalacia or early arthritis.

It would be best to get an Xray of the joint to look for these signs. Get AP, lateral and Skyline views of the Xray.

Apply hot packs to the affected region. Avoid squatting, cross leg sitting.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 30 minutes later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

I do not have pain climbing stairs or getting up from a sitting position. Honestly, I don't have any pain just a full feeling in my knee but with no swelling. I also noticed that the feeling goes away when I have my shoes off.

Again, this wasn't a problem until about 4 days ago and the onset was immediate and not gradual.

Thanks,

xxx
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Arthroscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

It is possible that you have synovitis of your knee inner lining. Do get your knee aspirated if there is excess fluid and just that fluid tested for causes of synovitis.

A diagnostic Arthroscopy by a Sports Medicine Specialist will help to find the cause.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana