Have pain in left kidney. Kidney stone or cyst?

Dr. Rajiv goel

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Is the pain in my left kidney more likely to be due to cysts than a kidney stone as there is a cyst on the liver and I have had multiple cysts removed from breasts and back?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 25 minutes later
Dear Madam,
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
No, the pain in the left side of the abdomen is more likely to be due to a stone than a cyst. Cysts rarely cause pain. They are painful only when they bleed, which in itself is a very rare condition. However, other causes of abdominal pain need to be ruled out. Sonography of the abdomen is a good investigation to begin with.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Sincerely

Rajiv Goel
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli