Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Have pain due to ruptured disc in back and had epidurals. Should I go to ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1055 Questions
I have a ruptured disc in back that pain radiates to my leg. Pain unbearable. Goy an epidural yesterday but my BP was 186/94before and after epidural it was 237/95. Hospital wouldn't release me till BP was down to186/94. Today my BP is 145/80 and sometimes 160/96. I just got a complete physical a month ago and BP was 110/80. I have had 3 epidurals in last 6 months, PT, acupuncture. If this doesn't back surgery soon. Should I go to emergency room because of the high blood pressure? Also have a slight headache and chills off and on. Should i go to doctor or emergency room. Just had complete physical a month ago. My BP was 110/80
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi.Please upload some more information Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Since your BP was 110/80 I would like to know if you have any previous record of your blood pressure readings in last 3-6 months. Are you hypertensive? If so, were you taking any medication for hypertension a month back when your BP was 110/80? What was the medicine given epidural, was it a steroid? How do you feel now (is there adequate pain relief after the injection)? Do you have family history of hypertension? Do you have fever or just headache and chills? Please feel free to upload the information. Keep us posted.Happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have pain due to ruptured disc in back and had epidurals. Should I go to ER? 17 minutes later
No fever. Doctor said stongrst steroid on planet. Have some relief but said takes 2 or 3 days to take effect. BP is now 156/86
Answered by Dr. Praveen 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need to consult your doctor and not ED Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing back. Normally there is a fluctuation of few mm of Hg during different parts of the day(BP continues to raise during the day and falls/is lower at night).It also subjective-who is checking your BP? Is the same apparatus is used everytime? Get 2-3 readings and this should also be somewhere in the range where you are currently having. Blood pressure might be due to ageing (which is most commonly) due to the gradual loss of elasticity of the blood vessels. BP would have shooted high previously due to the acute unbearable pain due to disc rupture. No matter what since your BP is higher than the target BP(140/90) above which requires a treatment you might consult your doctor and he might start on a low dose diuretic. However lifestyle modification like exercise, dietary modification(lowering intake of salt), yoga etc will help control your BP to a certain extent and keeps you healthy. Epidural injections(steroid) might not produce a significant effect on BP. Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have pain due to ruptured disc in back and had epidurals. Should I go to ER? 1 hour later
I know but i got a complete physical and BP was 110/80 and Ekg was perfect 4 weeks ago. Doctor said in perfect health. I reinjured my back 3 weeks ago and in extreme pain. Got epidural yesterday but my BP was 186/94. They released me from hospital saying the pain elevated BP. Went to PT today and BP was 146/80. I bought a home BP at CVS and it been fluctuating all day. 156/86, 176/94, 146/88. Should i go to emergency or try to get hold of my doctor tomorrow pr go to walk in clinic a block away if he is closed on Saturday?
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You might need timely BP monitoring on admission Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing back. Your BP might have been elevated because of pain. Since your BP is above the optimum level>140/90 it definitely needs to be treated irrespective of previous level. If your blood pressure is fluctuating then you may go to the ED and get admitted in the hospital for a day.During this time your BP can be timely monitored and presence or absence of fluctuation can be confirmed and adequately treated. Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor