Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Have hemicrania continua and stomach flu. Getting chest pain, diarrhea and heaviness in ear. Any advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 1975 Questions
Hi I have Hemicrania Continua (13 years) I am 44. F. Yesterday afternoon while recovering from a stomach flu (no cold symptoms) my right ear became numb and I lost hearing in it.The flu consisted of chest pains, nausea, and diarhea. It lasted 3-4 days. The numbness also is on the outside of my ear and my cheekbone. This side, the right side, is the side that my migraine resides in and never moves from. It feels like it is clogged, but it is not. I have treated it with alcohol and wax removal. What I fear is a serious vascular issue or something that should have been picked up on an MRI (my last being over 5 years ago). What do you advise?
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

I have gone through your query regarding your stomach flu which had given rise to diarrhea, nausea and chest pain and later on heaviness in ear.

The most probable pathological sequence of events are as follows - Initially you got infection in your stomach which causes nausea and loose motion - due to nausea you develop GERD causing the chest pain - GERD and flu can cause inflammation of Eustachian tube - Eustachian tube swelling can cause heaviness in ear and decreased hearing.

It is unlikely to be related to serious vascular pathology and should be cleared in a few days.

If persists, you are advice to go for these investigations-
(1) X- XXXXXXX chest P.A.View
(2) Blood- C.B.C., E.S.R., Widal test, etc.
(3) Audiometery,

A competent physician / ENT surgeon can streamline the aforementioned tests. Now a thorough clinical examination and co-relation of inferences of investigations will tell us about diagnosis which may be accordingly plan for treatment.

I wish your query is explained; if any thing is not clear you may please contact again.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor