Have had swollen taste buds and acid reflux. Any suggestion?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I have had swollen taste buds for 3 months. Drs aren't worried but the ones in the back very uncomfortable. Just had my gallbladder out and they are worse. Have tried alot of supplements to no avail any suggestions. I am 51 did had acid reflux the silent kind but haven't had an attack since these presented themselves.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
The most important thing for you is to find the cause for these swollen taste buds because treatment will depend upon that.
Causes could be
Bad oral hygiene
A prolonged use of antibiotics resulting in thrush or yeast infection 
Allergy to certain foods or consuming lot of acidic foods like lemon,sauces,grapefruits etc.
Consuming alcohol or tobacco
Using very spicy or hot foods
Acid reflux disease
Deficiency of B complex vitamins

Try to identify the cause and rectify it.
In the mean time start taking heavy dose of B complex vitamins along with consuming yoghurt twice daily and applying glycerine on taste buds.
These measures should help you out.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 24 minutes later
If it was still acid reflux wouldn't I have the other symptoms that I previously had, sore throat, lump in the back of throat?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 minutes later
Hello
Yes you are right.
It looks there is some other cause for swollen taste buds.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 minutes later
Good thats what I thought. I am a vegetarian so I just started taking 1 tsp of b12 on the tongue. Is that the right dosage? Also hoping since my gallbladder is out maybe the inflammation on my tongue might go down? Also wondered about menopause? Thanks for your help XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
I don't think menopause should have any relation with it.
Take B 12 twice daily and maintain proper oral hygiene.
I hope you should be all right soon.
Please do write in case anything else is to be asked.
Thanks