Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have had low grade fever and coughing. Used nebuliser with albuterol. Chest is sore and back hurts

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12760 Questions
I've had some kind of URI the past 4 days and don't know whether to go to the hospital or what..i've had a low grade fever but I have been coughing myself crazy and bringing up phlegm that is white..I have a nebulizer but all i have to use in it is Albuterol which helps some but still no real relief but my wife has some 50mg lasix that I took yesterday and today and the coughing has let up a lot and my lungs are clearer but my chest is very sore and my upper back hurts a lot..i was afraid to go to the hospital since I have to go to the V.A. hospital here in Beckley and they don't want to admit you unless ur temp. is over 101..should I just let it ride another day or so and see if the symptoms go away or what would u suggest...???
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your history it seems that you are having bronchitis. Wheezing and impacted phelgem need systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection you are having in your airways. You will have to consult your physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for you. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief. Taking lasix will not help you much.
However the best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If you have fever or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor