Have had flu. Sore throat and boy pain not cured by antibiotic. Looking for advice

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi,
I was infected with Flu 3 weeks back.Now I am fine but soar throat is there....Moreover the body pain is still continuing from 3 weeks.There are no fever now and cold is there.I was taking ibprufen and antibiotics acethramycine(Doctor prescribed).Now the course for antibiotics is finished but still the body pain and soar throat is there...Can you please advice???
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting.

From your description if you are still presenting with sore throat and body pains, it means the throat infection is persisting and possibly the causative microorganism is resistant to acethramycine antibiotics or you have taken the antibiotics for a shorter period ( probably continuation will improve your condition). But first, I will suggest you pay a visit to your doctor. Normally he/she should run a throat swap + culture to find out the specific causative microorganism before he/she could decide on which antibiotics will be sensitive to your infection. You will have to continue the antiinflammatory/ibuprofen for a couple of days again to manage the body pains.

Flu syndrome caused by bacteria could always be complicated by pharyngitis (like in your own situation) or other respiratory tract infections like bronchitis, pneumonia etc. Identifying the germ now is important through the throat swab so as to avoid micro-bacterial antibiotic resistance.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E