Have gall bladder removed. Suffering from indigestion, belching and pain in rib. How to get cure?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a sharp, intermittent pain in my lower right ribs. I had my gall-bladder removed four years ago and the pain is very similar. I have been also suffering from indigestion with a lot of belching and wind. I have not been sick and do not have diarrhoea. My temperature is normal. I do drink alcohol, but not for the last three weeks. The pain is sharp and specific, just where my gall-bladder was or maybe just below that. I have no other symptoms and don't feel ill, have good energy levels etc. I am also quite bloated, but this seems to be relieved by the passing of wind. The pain is also temporarily relieved by passing wind or belching.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.
The possible cause could be intestinal gas due to maldigestion or acid peptic disease

The following test may be done for evaluation -
1. Upper GI endoscopy
2. Tests for malabsorption/maldigestion

You can do the following for relief -
1. Avoid dairy products, beans , lentils, cabbage, broccoli, chewing gum
2. Take OTC prilosec once a day before breakfast
3. Avoid drinkong alcohol.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini