Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Have fluid filled large lump on the inside of ear opening, sore to touch. What this might be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions
I have what feels like a fluid filled large lump right on the inside of my ear opening. You can actually see it, it is very big (almost fills up the whole space of my ear hole) and feels very soft and fluid-filled. A few days ago, it was very very sore and did not feel "fluid-filled" but more solid. It is not as sore now. I'm wondering what this might be?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 51 minutes later

You seem to have Ear Canal Furuncle/Folliculitis. It is an infection of the external ear canal which leads to pain and swelling inside the ear canal. Some times, it can rupture and drain out purulent secretions. Occasionally, it softens and liquefies. Thats the likely stage in your case.

As of now, I would suggest the following:
a. Put warm compresses over the area so that its easier for the fluid to drain out
b. Also, you would need a course of oral antibiotics like amoxicillin-clavulanate.
Incising ( making a cut in this swelling to release the secretions) may also be required. Please see your general physician for the same.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information.


Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor