Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have extended periods when not using IUD, gaining weight due to IUD. Is there any other treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12683 Questions
I have regular 3 week long periods when an IUD is not in place, nothing else has stopped this problem. I will be due to get a new IUD at the end of the year, but I was wondering if there is any other treatment possible for this problem, as I fear that the IUD is making me gain more weight than I should. I already have 2 beautiful daughters and do not want any more but keep getting told that a hysterectomy is out of the equation.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Oral contraceptive pills are a good choice of contraception and can be taken at your age.

If taken regularly they are quite effective in prevention of pregnancy.
Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of iron deficiency anemia.
Consider visiting a Gynaecologist so that you can be prescribed the one after evaluation of your age,height,weight,menstrual history etc.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have extended periods when not using IUD, gaining weight due to IUD. Is there any other treatment? 17 minutes later
I was on the pill when the problem first started and it only eased it to a light constant period,the IUD was inserted as nothing else was working. As I am now 36 and a smoker(trying very hard to quit) the doctor wont let me go back on the pill.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since you are a smoker, taking pills will not be effective for you. Then the only option left for you is IUD. Till the time you get one, you can use a spermicidal gel in addition to a condom used by your partner.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor