Can emergency contraceptive pills be taken after unprotected intercourse?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 31 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor, What would be the safe contraceptive pill post unprotected intercourse? Please advise. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All Emergency contraceptive pills are safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.

Post unprotected intercourse, one can take emergency contraceptive pill.
All the pills in the market are safe.
Various brands like I pill, unwanted 72, plan B are available.

The pill should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Feel free to ask further.

Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 10 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the response.

Had a follow up question about medium term contraception option to avoid pregnancy for about 2-3 years. Could you suggest some safe and recommended options without any side affects. Thanks for the help.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiload or DMPA

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
You can have Intrauterine device like Multiload inserted or take Injection DMPA every 3 monthly for effective contraception.
Multiload is effective for 5 years.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj