Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Have ear infection, swelling outside ear and jaw. Should I take Azax and for how long should I take it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 4361 Questions
I have an ear infection and swelling outside my ear and jaw I bought some azax 500 for thr infection should I take these azax 500 for this infection and how long
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I would like to know more about it as you might be dealing with more than just an ear infection.

1. How long have you had an ear infection? Which side? What are the symptoms?
2. Do you have ear discharge?
3. Did you have fever?
4. Have you had headache?
5. Do you have history of diabetes?

Please get back to me as soon as possible, I am awaiting for your reply

I wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have ear infection, swelling outside ear and jaw. Should I take Azax and for how long should I take it? 9 hours later
1. I've had a earache and swelling for just a few days it would be on my right side next XXXXXXX ear and upper jaw
2 no discharge
3 no
4 no
5 borderline diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 hours later

Thanks for the query

By your description I feel the issue could be with the jaw joint(Temperomandibular joint), it is right in front of the ear and an ear infection can sometimes cause this joint to get inflamed and painful.

Other possibilities which need to be ruled out are, an inflammation of the parotid gland, this salivary gland is also right in front of the ear on both sides and can get infected or inflamed along with an ear infection.

Referred pain due to caries of the teeth. Sometimes, infected teeth will also cause a swelling and pain in this area.

My suggestion to you is, do not self medicate ever. Please consult an ENT surgeon, who after examining you completely, will prescribe the medications best suited for your condition.

Self medication can be very harmful, so I request you not to repeat it in future.

Azithromycin(Azax-500) has a pretty good coverage, but a better drug of choice would be a cephalosporin. Please ask your doctor for a prescription.

Please do consult your doctor, because if not treated in time, the infection might spread.

I hope I have answered to your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor