Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

175 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have degenerative disc disease. Getting severe back pain. How to reduce the pain?

Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 5930 Questions

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Back Pain
Question: I am having back pain from last 1 month.
Whenever I sit for long stretch say 8 Hours. By the end of the day the pain get worse.
I have shown this to the doctor. They mentioned that, I am having a DDD (Degenerative Disc Disease).
The pain has reduced form last 2 weeks but not completely removed.
Can you please give some advice how can I reduce the pain ?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

If you follow certain precautions and take care of your spine than it will never get worsen.

For this condition you have to do stretching & strengthening exercises of back in which you have to stretch tight muscle & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc.Do these exercises under supervision of your doctor or physiotherapist.
Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain.You can start with swimming.These do help a lot in the back pain .

The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 minutes later
Thanks for your inputs.
I am following some of your mentioned measures after the pain started but the pain still persist.

Would you recommend going to a Physiotherapist ?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 21 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

As I have said earlier that Physiotherapy plays a major role in treating such conditions. So, I recommend you to go to a physiotherapist for good physical therapy.

You can contact me directly when you will be back to your hometown.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,