Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Have debilitating lower extremity pain from mid-buttock to legs. Spinal X-ray showed L1 compression fx. Menaing?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
I have debilitating lower extremity pain from mid-buttock down back of both legs. my Oncology dr. ordered spinal x-ray and found a L1 compression fx. I have no back pain but leg pain --#10 when I walk. Will have bone scan on Fri
I also have DJD without pain. What would the possible tx be?
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
lifestyle modifications,Drugs/surgical management

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX
I can understand your concern.

Since you have L1 compression, there may not be any pain at lower back, but due to compression of nerve you may have leg pain, numbness in legs or other symptoms based on the nerve involvement.

With DJD, the cartilage deteriorates gradually causing compression of joints and this may lead to inflammation, bone spurs, compressed nerves, and pain.

For time being you can do restorative yoga, life style modifications like stretching exercises for lower back, have only required calorie intake to reduce weight and anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen 400mg. These may help in reducing the pain.
Based on the scan report and after looking into the problem your doctor may order the above said non surgical approach or plan for procedures like removal of spur if present or vertebral surgery to release or free the nerve if compression is present. These may be done under endoscopic procedure.

You need to relax now. Get the investigation done and later can discuss with your doctor for management for the problem.

Hope this answered your query. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor