Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Have dark skin growth behind ear. What could it be?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
i have a large dark thing behind my right ear its not sore but its about size of ear lobe .
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 25 minutes later
Hi there.
I read your query with interest & appreciate your anxiety.
From your clinical description, it does appear to be what we in medical terminology call seborrheic keratoses which for all practical purposes is a benign growth. However, given your geographical location being based down under & should you have any family history of any skin cancers, it may be in your best interests to go across to a dermatologist nearest you or a gen surgeon & get the lesion removed & biopsied. Alternatively, it should be feasible to use an electrocautery to get it removed & then biopsy it. Both are simple day care or out patient procedures that can be done under a local anaesthesia.
The signs of worrry are if it has been a fast growing lesion, if there has been any sudden discolouration or it appears patchy or mottled in pigmentation, if there is any bleeding on touch or any itch in the lesion per se. If your answer to any of the above is in the negative as i envisage, then all is well.
Trust this will have given you a concise clear picture & wish you good health & closure on this issue. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor