Have cracking lips, cold hands and feet. Took multivitamins. Related to acidity?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: my hands and feet stay cold and don't warm up ,i have already taken multivitamins on consultation by a doctor and tsh (thyroid test is normal range ). earlier the same thing happened in april -may 2011 but took mutiviatmins and gyming ,conditions improved .also i had a problem of chronic lip cracking and tearing after 2 days(cyclic),but now that is fine and much normal . plz check if this the problem related to acidity . if i skip a meal i get a shivering feeling and much cold hands(usually i humid conditions the hands warm up)
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 37 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, this type of symptoms may be seen in some conditions like hypoglycemia, thyroid dysfunction, Raynaud's phenomenon, generalized weakness etc.

You have told, your thyroid function is within normal limit. So, this possibility is excluded.

Now, hypoglycemia is most possible cause, as you told about shivering after omitting a meal. Hypoglycemia itself is not a disease, but it is a sign of some underlying disease condition. So, you have to do a blood glucose test during the time of shivering. You can do it by using portable glucometer using strips. If the blood glucose level is below 45 mg / dl, then you have to do some investigations like insulin level, C-peptide level of blood. Depending on the results, next investigation will be determined. And, in that case, you need to visit an endocrinologist.

Have you experienced any change of color of hand during cold sensation? If no, then it is ok. But if yes, then Raynaud’s phenomenon is a possibility. In that case, you have to do a doppler study to rule out any abnormality in blood circulation.

If you feel any weakness, you should take a balanced nutritious diet, a multivitamin agent. And most importantly, do not omit a meal. For hyperacidity, you can take a pantoprazole group of drug.

Lastly, the most possible cause of this coldness, is hypoglycemia. So consult with your treating doctor about it, for a thorough clinical examination and for ordering the necessary investigations and for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 2 days later
sir my blood sugar level is normal ,81(random or after skipping meal) ,plz elaborate more on raynaud's and when do know u have acidity ?
regarding my symptom observation i noticed one thing that my finger and my toes usually are colder and don't warm easily and i am able to do all moving and sitting jobs fine
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for following up.

In case of Raynaud's phenomenon, the patient experiences change of color of the skin when the hand is exposed to cold. The skin color first becomes white then blue and then red and comes back to normal when the temperature is reversed.

Look, if you have acidity, you may experience pain in abdomen, indigestion, burning sensation in chest and throat, headache, and many more.

From your description, regarding the symptoms, you should consult with your treating doctor about the color doppler study to rule out any abnormality in blood circulation. If that report becomes normal, the cause of this type of symptoms may be the weakness.

Your blood glucose level is higher than the cut off value for hypoglycemia. So, this possibility is ruled out.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.