• question-icon

Have conceived through IVF. Getting dark brown discharge and started bleeding. What could be the reason?

Posted on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Question: I am in my 6th week of pregnancy. On 27th July I had a little bleeding which ceased later but dark brown discharge continued. Again on 30th July night I started bleeding again - bright red blood. It is like a very light period but no abdominal cramps. I am worried, what could be the reason? I am carrying twins and both my G-sacs had yolk sacs too. I have conceived through IVF = ZIFT
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,

in early pregnancy some amount of spotting can be seen because of causes like,
- gestational sac while getting embedded in uterus wall can damage some blood vessels leading to spotting,
some women may have bleeding on expected day of periods even in pregnancy,
increased blood supply to local organs can cause spotting even on mild friction etc,

twin pregnancy may increase pregnancy symptoms to some extent compared with singleton pregnancy but much difference may not be seen in early pregnancy.

usually these types of spotting will subside soon, as you are not having pain abdomen no need to worry, but if your spotting increases or pain abdomen arises consult your doctor immediately,

if the spotting arises again better to continue the pregnancy undercover of progesterone with your doctor's advice.
take care.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN