Have abdominal pain, bloating and gas controlled by pepto bismol. How to cure this?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: I have frequent (monthly perhaps) bouts of abdominal pain, bloating, gas, and runs to bathroom (not necessarily diarhea) which can be somewhat controlled by pepto bismol but not completely. These bouts last from one or two days up to a week or more, go away, then return in a month or so. Does not seem related to foods or drink.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Colitis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Frequent abdominal pain, bloating, gas and altered bowel habits usually indicates colitis which is nothing but inflammation of the colon. Here are my suggestions to you 1. Please do not ignore your symptoms any further, you will need to visit a gastroenterologist for a colonocopy 2. Continue taking Peopto bismol, I would also advice you to add Tab pantoprazole once daily before food. 3. Tab Sporolac taken three times daily for a week should help you with the diarrhea and bloating 4. Avoid milk, milk products, caffeine and alcohol. 5. For abdominal pain Butylscopolamine tablet is ideal drug of choice. Please visit your doctor with my suggestions, do not consider this as my prescription to you. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E