Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Have Refractory Groin Rash, used Canesten Athletes Foot cream on it, but no relief. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
HI - I'm fairly sure I have a case of Refractory Groin Rash, just compared my rash with images on line that are pretty much identical. I've attempted to keep the area clean etc, but with the winter months and long pants always on, it's hard to provide air flow etc to help clear it up. I've used some Canesten Athletes Foot cream on it, but that doesn't appear to be helping. I'm self employed and beyond busy, just wondering what's the best cream or over the counter product to clear this up. XXXXX
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 17 minutes later

Thanks for your query

You seem to be having a fungal infection of the groin which is tinea cruris.
Fungal infections of the groin are recurrent in many people especially when it is not adequately treated.
I would suggest that you should take complete therapy for the same which includes both oral and topical drugs.
A regular course of oral antifungals include something like fluconazole to be taken once weekly for at least 6 weeks.
Since you have already used clotrimazole, I would suggest that you should switch over to a higher topical antifungal in the form of terbinafine cream at least twice a day.
There are certain precautions which need to be taken care off especially if patients with recurrent infections.
Wear cotton clothes and undergarments as far as possible in order to reduce sweating.
Do not apply any oils or moisturizers over the groin region.
Clean and dry the area regularly.
Take treatment for the prescribed time. The rash might decrease after one to two weeks of therapy but completion of six weeks of treatment is essential for complete cure of infection.
Once the infection is completely cured, you can continue to use an antifungal powder regularly during runners every year in order to prevent recurrence.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have Refractory Groin Rash, used Canesten Athletes Foot cream on it, but no relief. Suggest? 15 minutes later
So what are my options for treatment? Do I still need to see a GP or can I go to a Chemist and purchase some treatment myself?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later

As the skin problem in your case is a chronic one, I would definitely prefer that you see a doctor and take his/prescription of the above medications. But if the appointment cannot be fixed or feasible you can visit you can visit your chemist and ask for terbinafine containing creams.

Antifungal creams are available over the counter in many countries. You may take the above therapy as mentioned above and see for the response at the end of one week.

Hope it helps. Please let me know if you need any further clarifications.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Dr. Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor